Knisely School in Queen - Wilmer Claar, Teacher on Left
F.D. Roosevelt Elementary School in 1934
on Current Site of Administration Offices
Musselman School Corner of Buttermilk Hollow Road and Locust Hollow Road in Upper Claar.
Blair Musselman, Teacher on Left
Education in Claysburg Started as Far Back as 1795!
It is time for another history day in Claysburg. Today we are showcasing schools in Greenfield and Kimmel Township.
We have posted a few old photos from the 1920's through the present. Take a look and if you know someone, put their names on the photo page.
The earliest schoolhouse in the area is believed to have been located near the site of Sproul Lime and Stone near Sproul. The early writings about the history of Claysburg date this school to approximately 1795. This school is believed to have been built by John Swoveland at his own expense.
The second school believed to be in the area was located near Black’s Mills now known as Friesville, and was constructed in 1812 by Adam Black. Adam Black paid James Langham to be the teacher from his own money.
In 1834 the enactment of Pennsylvania’s free public school laws took effect. By 1882, Greenfield Township had seven (7) one room schools with 343 students enrolled and an average daily attendance of 194.
One room schools dotted the outlying areas since transportation was difficult getting to a central location. Below is a list of some of the schools throughout the area.
In 1914 Claysburg had only a small one room building in Claysburg. About this time Standard Refractories in Claysburg and General Refractories in Sproul were beginning operations. Then a two room building was built in Claysburg and another two room school was built at Sproul. It soon became apparent that more class rooms were needed and other rooms were rented.
Then in 1918 Greenfield Township erected a high school building. It contained seven rooms and an auditorium and some office space. The first graduating class from Claysburg High School was in 1920 when 11 members graduated under a two year high school program. This two year program continued graduation through 1925. Then a four year program was instituted and the next graduating class was in 1928 under the four year program. There were no graduating classes in 1926 and 1927.
In 1924 the Levi Walter School was built in Queen and consolidated one room schools in Kimmel Township. An addition was added in 1940
In 1934 the F. D. Roosevelt Elementary School was built. It contained twenty-two classrooms. Later a combined auditorium and gymnasium, a home economics suite, a vo-ag shop, an activity room, offices, a cafeteria and a kitchen were added.
At this point most of the one roomed schools closed in 1934 and students then attended the Claysburg High School and F. D. Roosevelt School.
Two Room Claysburg School at Site of Present Claysburg Post Office. Circa 1900
Dibert School on Polecat Road - Across from Brady's Gas Station
Black School Next to Lower Claar Church - Photo Circa 1927
Queen School Built 1924 - Photo Circa 1980
Sproul School Next to Sproul Cemetery - Across Road from Sheetz Gas Station
Claysburg High School Freshmen in 1940
On June 21, 1950 a joint venture was formed with Kimmel Township. The joint venture was known as Greenfield-Kimmel School District.
In 1954 the new senior high school was completed. It contained 16 classrooms, a library, two work and conference rooms, a three room health suite, a vocational agriculture shop, an activity room, a three room office suite, a cafeteria and a kitchen.
In 1965 the named Greenfield-Kimmel School District was changed to Claysburg-Kimmel School District to reflect where the school was actually located.
An addition was added to the high school in 1969 with more classrooms and a new gymnasium was erected where part of the old FDR building was located.
In 1992 Queen and FDR Elementary schools were consolidated at a new elementary school near Friesville.
In 2003-2005 major renovations began on the old FDR location with razing of the old school and construction of a new gym and auditorium added along with high school improvements.
Below is a list of schools known to have been in the area before the consolidation of all schools into the current school system.
School Town Location
Knisely Queen Near Mayberry Claar’s
Boyer Queen Across from Tim Burket’s Butcher Shop
Lewistown Queen Near Diana Clapper’s Home
Fickes Scrubgrass Near Ray Langham’s Home & Old Cider Press
Yelpertown Yelpertown Guy Black, Sr. Home
Shaffer King Old Howard Hengst Home
Sarah Furnace Sproul Sproul
Glass Polecat Halfway up Polecat Road
Dibert Polecat Near Rt 220 Intersection and Polecat Road
Black Klahr Beside Lower Claar Church
Musselman Klahr Old Clair Musselman Home
Friesville Friesville North of Bridge in Friesville
Stine Bullscreek Bullscreek
Berkheimer Blue Knob Turn left off Ski Gap Rd & Towards Ski Resort
Diamond Blue Knob Off Rt 164 on right -Piper Hollow Rd
Blue Knob ? Blue Knob Between Helsel’s Saw Mill & Old Long’s Dairy
Claysburg Claysburg One room school-Blair Musselman’s old house
Claysburg Claysburg Site of Current Post Office
Levi Walter Queen Old Elementary School
Old High School Claysburg Old Yellow Brick Bldg. at Present School Site
FDR Elementary Claysburg Old Stone School was located on Gym Site
If you show an interest in these school pictures, we can post a lot more.
Claysburg High School - Built 1917. Photo Circa 1937
Claysburg School at Present Site of Claysburg Post Office - Circa Before 1917
Claysburg High School in 1924
Claysburg High School in 1934
Claysburg-Kimmel High School Freshmen in 2013
A south central Pennsylvania town with beautiful scenery.
The area is nestled between the Appalachian Front to the west and Dunnings Mountain of the Ridge and Valley Region to the east!
Rich Allison Claysburg.us © Copyright